Thursday, May 24, 2012

Lau King Howe Hospital Memorial Museum

I was born at this hospital many years ago. It used to be the only hospital serving the surrounding community in and around my hometown. It stood on a sprawling 10 acres compound housing different single storey buildings serving different puprposes- all connected by a never ending covered walkway, at least that's how it felt like to a little kid.  It was a modern hospital in its time- complete with its own outpatient facility, ICU unit, inhouse dispensary, maternity ward, pediatric ward, mental ward, dental clinic, surgery unit, a morgue, a lab, a kitchen, laundry facilities, staff housing and etc. I remembered visiting my mom here when she was hospitalized for her arthritic knee treatments, my godmother passing away at this hospital when I was 12, going to the dispensary to get medications for my mom, hearing stories about the going ons at the mental ward, etc. All these are memories now as the hospital has moved and on its site now stands a single building displaying items from its glorious days.

Steel labor counter with stirrups- can't imagine having childbirth on here

                                                           Medical equipments
                                Gynecological tools- hasn't changed much since
                                                           More medical tools
                                                              X-ray machine
                                                             Centrifuge machine

                                           I think these were the olden days enemas.
                                                                      Fetal scope
KK tablets- the go to pill when I was little
  
Pharmacy scales and weights
 
Every 1st and 2nd graders at our primary school had to go thru the toothbrushing drill at least once. Good training as we're taught how to brush our teeth properly and maintain good oral hygiene. These lessons stuck with me. A visit to the school dentist for annual checkup was a must. I was fearful of these visits as it sometimes involved drilling, cleaning and tooth pulling.
The much feared dental chair- just like the one I used to visit at my primary school's dental clinic.

These were the same equipments used to sterilize the dental tools at the dentist's office.
 
                            

No comments:

Post a Comment