Sunday, March 13, 2011
Outer dough ingredients:-
2 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
1/2 cup of water
1 tsp of salt
1/4 cup of melted unsweetened butter
Interior dough (flaky) ingredients:-
1 cup of all purpose flour
1/2 cup of softened unsweetened butter
1 lb of ground pork ( rinsed twice with cold water and drained- meat should be moist, not soaking wet)
3 stalks of scallions, chopped finely
1/2 tsp of cornstarch
1 tbsp of sesame oil
2 tbsp of light soy sauce
1 tsp each of salt and white pepper
1 egg lightly beaten
1/4 cup of toasted white sesame seeds (optional)
1. Using a spoon, mix filling ingredients in a large bowl in one direction until smooth about 2-3 minutes. Wrap bowl with plastic wrap and let sit in the fridge for an hour or overnight up to 12 hours.
2. To make the outer dough, mix its ingredients in a stand mixer with the dough hook attachment at low speed for 1 minute then increase speed to medium and let knead until smooth about 5 minutes. Set dough aside and let rest for 30 minutes.
3. In a medium bowl, mix the flaky dough ingredients with your hands. Dough will be slightly crumbly. Sprinkle a little flour to shape it into 1/2 inch cylinder and divide into 24 portions.
4. Take the outer dough and divide into 3 portions. Roll each portion into 1 inch cylinder on a floured surface and cut into 8 pieces each.
5. Wrap 1 piece of flaky dough inside each piece of outer dough. Roll out the pastry dough and fold into thirds. Repeat this process two more times before shaping the dough into a ball. Flatten the dough and roll out thin into 4 inches diameter round discs.
6. Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper. Wrap 1 tbsp of meat filling in the middle of each pastry dough and pinch the seams close. Place the pastries with their seams side down on the cookie sheet.
7. Preheat oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit. Brush each pastry with the egg wash and sprinkle sesame seeds on top. Place the pastries in the oven and bake for 30 minutes or until golden. Let cool slightly before serving.