Monday, November 22, 2010

Prepping for Thanksgiving

It's that time of the year. It's not thanksgiving without turkey according to my kids. This year is no exception especially since my brother and his wife will be joining us for the first time.

I've started a dry brine for the turkey on Sunday morning. It's a recipe adapted from LA Times a few years back. I prefer dry brining because it's easy and the turkey tastes juicier and more tender. All you need is 1 tbsp of kosher salt per 5 pounds of turkey rubbed inside the cavity and all over the turkey. Seal turkey in a resealable plastic bag and chill in the fridge for 3 days. The turkey needs to be turned over once a day as well as massaged. The night before thanksgiving, pat the skin dry with paper towel and leave turkey breast side up uncovered in the fridge for at least 8 hours. Remove turkey from fridge and leave it at room temperature for1 hour before roasting.

First time making cranberry sauce and it turns out pretty good. Jellied cranberry sauce with fuji apple recipe was adapted from FoodandWine.com. Recipe calls for one bag (12oz) of fresh cranberry, 1 fuji apple (diced), 1 cup sugar and 3/4 cup water to be heated over medium heat in a medium sized sauce pan. Heat and stir occasionally for about 15 minutes until cranberry mixture thickens.  Chill in fridge for at least 3 hours.

Next up is baking the desserts. This year, it's creme brulee and maybe pumpkin cheesecake too if I've the time. Then, it's on to prepping the side dishes which include a soup, a salad, an appetizer, sauteed brussel sprouts, seafood paella or pasta in place of stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy, baked scallops, etc..... Whew, looks like I've a lot of work cut out for me, myself and I. Happy Thanksgiving!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment